Thursday 13 August 2009

Social fund

Social fund


Useless for me

On the only occasion that I wanted to use the social fund, it was useless. As originally conceived, it allocated grants but it now only offers loans. Well, I wanted a loan to ease the cash flow caused by my landlord's decision not to accept housing benefit, but the rules are drawn too tightly. I don't think anybody thought about a change in tenancy management as a potential problem. In any case, I'm guessing that the rules were drawn up in the days when grants were issued and hadn't changed by the time I was interested. Really, we should be allowed to borrow a certain amount of money without question. Oh, I forgot. Unemployed people are just a bunch of criminals to be treated with contempt.

Perhaps the government retains the restrictions on what loans can be used for because they are subsidised. Well, I'd be happy to borrow from the social fund at commercial interest rates on the basis of no questions asked, since I can't borrow from other sources due to my former Bankruptcy. Remember that any money borrowed is deducted from subsequent benefit payments, so it's not like I'd be able to escape payment.

No comments: